546-31-3087 C-L-X Type MC (XHHW-2) - 12 AWG - 7 Conductors
X-Olene® is Okonite's trade name for its chemically cross-linked polyethylene, with high dielectric strength.
Conductors are color coded using base colors and tracers in accordance with the Conductor Identification Table on the back of this Data Sheet.
Assembly and Coverings
The individual conductors are cabled together with non-hygroscopic fillers and a binder tape overall. The C-L-X sheath exceeds the grounding conductor requirements of Table 250.122 of the NEC and UL 1569. The impervious, continuous, corrugated aluminum C-L-X sheath provides complete protection against moisture, liquids and gases and has excellent mechanical strength. For direct burial in the ground, embedment in concrete, or for areas subjectedto corrosive atmospheres, the C-L-X sheath is protected with a low temperature black Okoseal® (PVC) jacket.
C-L-X Type MC cables with the impervious, continuous, corrugated aluminum sheath are recommended as an economical alternate to a wire in conduit system. They are authorized for use on services, feeders and branch circuits for power, lighting, control and signaling circuits in accordance with Articles 330 and 725 of the NEC.
C-L-X Type MC cables may be installed indoors or outdoors, in wet or dry locations, as open runs of cable secured to supports spaced not more than six feet apart, in cable tray, as aerial cable on a messenger, in any approved raceway, direct burial, or encased in concrete. C-L-X Type MC cables are also approved for use in Class I & II, Division 2, Class III, Divisions 1 and 2, and Class I,Zone 2 hazardous locations - NEC articles 501, 502, 503 and 505.
Conductors: Bare soft annealed copper, Class B stranding per ASTM B-8.
Insulation: X-Olene per ICEA S-73-532/NEMA WC57 and UL 44, Listed UL Type XHHW-2. Meets MIL-DTL-1377H, section 188.8.131.52.2 cold bend at -66°C and ASTM D746-04 brittle point at -76°C.
Assembly: Per UL 1569 with binder tape overall.
Sheath: Close fitting, impervious, continuous, corrugated aluminum C-L-X per UL 1569.
Exceeds grounding conductor requirements of NEC Table 250.122
Jacket: Black Okoseal (PVC) per UL requirements for Type MC Cables. Meets ASTM D746-04 brittle point at -40°C
- UL Listed as Type MC cable and Marine Shipboard Cable, E38916 (UL 1596) and E137931 (UL 1309).
- UL Listed for cable tray use, direct burial and sunlight resistant.
- UL 1309 (CWCMC) listed & UL classified in accord with IEEE 1580 as Marine Shipboard Cable rated 600/1000 volts.
- CSA C22.2 No. 123 listed as RA90, FT4 and LTGG (-40°C).
- Passes the IEEE 383-1974 and IEEE 1202 vertical tray flame tests.
- Passes the 210,000 BTU/hr ICEA T-29-520 Vertical Tray Flame Test.
- Complete pre-packaged, factory-tested wiring system — color coded.
- C-L-X cables are quality control inspected to meet or exceed applicable UL standards.
- 90°C continuous operating temperature in all types of installations
- 130°C emergency rating
- 250°C short circuit rating.
- Good EMI shielding characteristics.
- Impervious, continuous metallic sheath excludes moisture, gases and liquids.
- Reduced sealing fitting requirements in
- Class I, Division 2 or Zone 2 hazardous locations (NEC Section 501.15(E)(3) or 505.16(C)(2)(c).
- Lower installed system cost than conduit or EMT systems.
- Provides excellent grounding safety
- Excellent compression and impact resistance.
- Continuous long lengths.
- Installation temperature of -40°C or °F.
- UL and American Bureau of Shipping Type approved as CWCMC Type MC.