Price (Per FT.)
C-L-X Type MC-HL cables with the impervious, continuous, corrugated aluminum sheath are recommended as an economical alternate to a wire in conduit system.
They are authorized for use on services, feeders and branch circuits for power, lighting, control and signaling circuits in accordance with Article 330 and 725 of the NEC.
C-L-X Type MC-HL cables may be installed in doors or outdoors, in wet or dry locations, as open runs of cable secured to supports spaced not more than six feet apart, in cable tray, as aerial cable on a messenger, in any approved raceway, direct burial, or encased in concrete. C-L-X type MC-HL cables are also approved for Classes I, II and III, Division 1 and 2 and Class I, Zones 1 and 2 hazardous locations — NEC Articles 501, 502, 503 and 505.
X-Olene® is Okonite's trade name for its chemically cross-linked polyethylene, with high dielectric strength.
Conductors 6 AWG and smaller are color coded using base colors and tracers in accordance with the Conductor Identification Table on the back of this Data Sheet. Sizes 4 AWG and larger are printed number/color coded.
Assembly and Coverings
The individual conductors are cabled together with non-hygroscopic fillers and a binder tape overall. The C-L-X sheath exceeds the grounding conductor requirements of Table 250.122 of the NEC and UL 1569. A bare stranded copper grounding conductor(s), located in the outer interstices, is provided for grounding. The impervious, continuous, welded, corrugated aluminum C-L-X sheath provides complete protection against moisture, liquids and gases and has excellent mechanical strength. For direct burial in the ground, embedment in concrete, or for areas subjected to corrosive atmospheres, the C-L-X sheath is protected with a low temperature black Okoseal® (PVC) jacket.
Conductors: Uncoated soft copper per ASTM B-3. Sizes smaller than #8 are compress stranded per ASTM B-8. Sizes #8 and larger are compact stranded per ASTM B-496.
Insulation: X-Olene per ICEA S-95-658/NEMA WC70 and UL 44, Listed UL Type XHHW-2. Meets MIL-DTL-1377H, section 126.96.36.199.2 cold bend at -66°C and ASTM D746-04 brittle point at -76°C.
Conductor Identification: Control Sizes, #9 AWG and smaller, color coded insulation
Power Sizes, #8 AWG and larger, black with printed words of number and color.
Grounding Conductor(s): One or three bare soft copper per ASTM B-3. Stranded in accordance with UL 1581. Meets or exceeds requirements of NEC Table 250.122.
Sheath: Close fitting, impervious, continuous, welded, corrugated aluminum C-L-X per UL 1569. Exceeds grounding conductor requirements of NEC Table 250.122.
Jacket: Black Okoseal (PVC) per UL1569. Meets ASTM D746-04 brittle point at -40°C.
- UL Listed as Type MC-HL cable per E38916
- UL Listed for cable tray use, direct burial and sunlight resistant.
- UL 1309 (CWCMC) listed & UL classified in accord with IEEE 1580 as Marine Ship board Cable rated 600/1000 volts.
- CSA listed as RA90, FT4, HL and LTGG (-40°C).
- Passes the IEEE 383-1974 and IEEE 1202 vertical tray flame tests.
- Passes the 210,000 BTU ICEA T-29-520 Vertical Tray Flame Test.
- Complete pre-packaged, factory-tested wiring system; color coded.
- C-L-X cables are quality control inspected to meet or exceed applicable UL standards.
- 90°C continuous operating temperature in all types of installations.
- 130°C emergency rating.
- 250°C short circuit rating.
- Good EMI shielding characteristics.
- Impervious, continuous metallic sheath excludes moisture, gases and liquids.
- Lower installed system cost than conduit or EMT systems.
- Provides excellent grounding safety.
- Excellent compression and impact resistance.
- Continuous long lengths.
- Installation temperature of -40°C or °F.
- Complies with NEC Articles 501, 502 and 503 for hazardous locations.
- American Bureau of Shipping Type approved as CWCMC Type MC-HL.
- Three symmetrical grounding conductors for PWM/VFD and other modern AC drive/motor applications.