Okonite Armored Underground Signal Cables are designed for use in all vital railroad signal circuits where security of service and long life are required in all vital circuit and safety related applications. These cables are recommended for use where crush resistance, termite and rodent protection are considerations and in all wet and dry locations.
Okonite EPR insulation is a heat, moisture and chemical resistant, mechanically rugged compound. The insulation thickness for size #14 AWG through #9 AWG is 5/64" and for #6 AWG through #2 AWG is 6/64". One conductor in each layer is identified as "Tracer". In addition, each conductor is number coded for ease of identification.
Assembly and Finish
Individual conductors are assembled with suitable fillers, where necessary, and a cable cushioning tape. A 7 mil flat copper alloy tape is then helically applied, giving outstanding mechanical protection. The black Okolene® (polyethylene) jacket is then applied overall.
AREMA Signal Manual Part 10.3.17
Conductors: Solid uncoated copper per ASTM B-3, stranded uncoated compact round copper per ASTM B-496.
Insulation: Meets or exceeds electrical and physical requirements of ICEA S-95-658 (NEMA WC70) and AREMA Manual Part 10.3.19, thickness per table 10317-4.
Armor Type: Copper alloy C19400 per ASTM B-465.
Jacket: Meets or exceeds electrical and physical requirements of ICEA S-95-658, Part 4.1.5.
- Mechanically rugged.
- Resistant to aging.
- Easy to install and splice.
- Resistant to environmental hazards.
- Superior moisture resistance.
- Outstanding termite and rodent protection.
- Excellent electrical properties...high dielectric strength, low SIC and power factor and high insulation resistance.
- The Pull Cord feature affords easy and quick accessibility to conductors for splicing and terminating.
- Sequential footage markings on surface of outer jacket.